- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Register and sit for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT)—online at www.lsac.org or from the Law School Admissions Council at (215) 968-1001
- Subscribe to the Credential Assembly Service (CAS)
- Transcripts from any post secondary instituion of education must be sent directly to the Law School Council (LSAC)
- Two recent letters of recommendation
- Personal statement of not more than three typewritten pages
- Fee of $50 (if applying online, the fee is reduced to $40 for a completed application)
- Other Addenda
Character and Fitness Disclosure
In addition to a bar examination, there are character, fitness, and other qualifications for admission to the bar in every U.S. jurisdiction. Applicants are encouraged to determine the requirements for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Addresses for all relevant agencies are available through the National Conference of Bar Examiners (http://www.ncbex.org/).
Applicants should take care to respond fully and accurately to each question on the law school application. Applicants should be aware that, in conducting character and fitness investigations, bar authorities frequently request copies of candidate’s applications for admission to law school to determine whether they have supplied erroneous, misleading or incomplete information in the admission process. If discrepancies are found, bar authorities may conclude that such discrepancies demonstrate a lack of honesty, trustworthiness, diligence, or reliability so as to call into question the applicant’s fitness for admission to the Bar.
If the answer to any of the questions regarding character and fitness is affirmative, a full written explanation must be provided. Such explanations should include dates, circumstances and outcomes surrounding the incident(s). Additionally, please supplement the application whenever necessary to ensure that the answers are current and accurate. If applying electronically, please use an electronic attachment for each question. Additionally, if the answer to the question regarding prior matriculation is affirmative, a full written explanation must be provided. In addition to an addendum, applicants are required to provide an official transcript and an official letter of standing to Ave Maria School of Law. Transcripts may be sent directly to LSAC or AMSL from the previous law school. A letter of standing may be sent directly to AMSL from the previous law school.