- M.A., 2013, Interdisciplinary Studies, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- J.D., 1994, The University of Toledo College of Law
- B.A., 1991, Political Science and History Majors, Hillsdale College
Areas of Expertise
- Legal Research and Writing
Before entering academia full time, Professor Fleetham practiced law in the litigation department of Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt & Howlett in Michigan for twelve years. Professor Fleetham also taught courses in research and writing and litigation at Davenport University.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Order of the Coif, The University of Toledo College of Law (1994)
- Managing Editor, The University of Toledo Law Review (1993-1994)
- Phi Kappa Phi, The University of Toledo College of Law (1993).
- American Jurisprudence Class Awards in Civil Procedure, Litigation & Practice, Family Law, Legal Research & Writing, Real Property, and Torts.
- Member, Bar of the State of Michigan (1994 – present), Bar of the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan (1994 – present), Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2001 – present).
- Member, Legal Writing Institute (2009 – present).
- Parent Volunteer, Pack 12 Cub Scouts (2012 – present).
- Volunteer Sunday School Teacher, Covenant Church of Naples (2013, 2015 – present)
- Asbestos Litigation Cries Out For Legislative Reform, Business Update (July 2006)
- Medical Criteria Has Become The Focus Of Asbestos Litigation Reform, West Michigan (May 2006)
- EPA Issues Asbestos Project Plan, West Michigan Environet (January 2006)
- Asbestos Bill Needs To Catch Fire, Business Direct Weekly (June 10, 2004)
- Preserving Our Rights, Business Direct Weekly (June 19, 2003)
- Asbestos Lawsuits Now Target Property Owners, Grand Rapids Business Journal, (April 28, 2003)
- Asbestos Litigation Finds a New Target and is Quickly Becoming a Target Itself, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee News (Spring 2003)
- Lee v. Weisman: Psychological Coercion Offends the Traditional Notion of Coercion Under the Establishment Clause, University of Toledo Law Review (Spring 1993)
- Teaching Legal Research: So Much to Cover, So Little Time, 2016 Southeastern Regional Legal Writing Conference (January 23, 2016)
- Co-Presenter of Teaching Legal Writing: But My Undergraduate Professor Told Me I Was a Great Writer! Helping Students Make the Transition to Legal Writing, 2014 Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference (June 30, 2014)
- Co-Presenter of Teaching Legal Analysis: Warren the Whining 1L: A First-Day CREAC Exercise, 2013 Southeast Regional Legal Writing Conference (April 27, 2013)
- Co-Presenter of How to Reap the Benefits of the First Summer Job for the Rest of Your Career, Legal Writing Institute Workshop (December 7, 2012)
- Asbestos Litigation Just Won’t Go Away, Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce (April 24, 2006)
- Testimony before Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee on asbestos litigation legislation (March 28, 2006)
- Co-Presenter of Aggressively Pursuing Fraudulent Conveyances, The Institute of Continuing Legal Education (June 16, 2005)
- Legal Issues On Indoor Air Quality, Certified Indoor Environmentalist Course (2004-2005)
- Silica Litigation: The Next Big Wave of Toxic Tort Suits? Michigan Chamber of Commerce (May 5, 2004)
- Asbestos Litigation Takes An Ominous Turn, Michigan Chamber of Commerce (April 22, 2003)
- Asbestos Litigation Takes An Ominous Turn, ABA Environmental Litigation Committee National Conference (January 18, 2003)
- Y2K: A Bump In The Road, Information Technology Management Association (July 7, 1999)