- MA, 2013, Interdisciplinary Studies, Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
- JD, 1994, The University of Toledo College of Law
- BA, 1991, Political Science and History Majors, Hillsdale College
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Fleetham has taught Research, Writing & Advocacy courses and Sales at Ave Maria School of Law. Additionally, Professor Fleetham has coached the Chester Bedell external moot court trial team.
Before entering academia full time, Professor Fleetham practiced law in the litigation department of Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt & Howlett in Michigan for twelve years. Professor Fleetham also taught courses in research and writing and litigation at Davenport University.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Order of the Coif, The University of Toledo College of Law (1994)
- Managing Editor, The University of Toledo Law Review (1993-1994)
- Phi Kappa Phi, The University of Toledo College of Law (1993).
- American Jurisprudence Class Awards in Civil Procedure, Litigation & Practice, Family Law, Legal Research & Writing, Real Property, and Torts.
- Member, Bar of the State of Michigan (1994 – present), Bar of the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan (1994 – present), Bar of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (2001 – present).
- Member, Legal Writing Institute (2009 – present).
- Parent Volunteer, Pack 12 Cub Scouts (2012 – present).
- • Volunteer Sunday School Teacher, Covenant Church of Naples (2013, 2015 – present)
- Asbestos Litigation Cries Out For Legislative Reform, Business Update (July 2006)
- Medical Criteria Has Become The Focus Of Asbestos Litigation Reform, West Michigan (May 2006)
- EPA Issues Asbestos Project Plan, West Michigan Environet (January 2006)
- Asbestos Bill Needs To Catch Fire, Business Direct Weekly (June 10, 2004)
- Preserving Our Rights, Business Direct Weekly (June 19, 2003)
- Asbestos Lawsuits Now Target Property Owners, Grand Rapids Business Journal, (April 28, 2003)
- Asbestos Litigation Finds a New Target and is Quickly Becoming a Target Itself, Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Committee News (Spring 2003)
- Lee v. Weisman: Psychological Coercion Offends the Traditional Notion of Coercion Under the Establishment Clause, University of Toledo Law Review (Spring 1993)
- o Teaching Legal Research: So Much to Cover, So Little Time, 2016 Southeastern Regional Legal Writing Conference (January 23, 2016)
- o Co-Presenter of Teaching Legal Writing: But My Undergraduate Professor Told Me I Was a Great Writer! Helping Students Make the Transition to Legal Writing, 2014 Legal Writing Institute Biennial Conference (June 30, 2014)
- Co-Presenter of Teaching Legal Analysis: Warren the Whining 1L: A First-Day CREAC Exercise, 2013 Southeast Regional Legal Writing Conference (April 27, 2013)
- Co-Presenter of How to Reap the Benefits of the First Summer Job for the Rest of Your Career, Legal Writing Institute Workshop (December 7, 2012)
- Asbestos Litigation Just Won’t Go Away, Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce (April 24, 2006)
- Testimony before Michigan Senate Judiciary Committee on asbestos litigation legislation (March 28, 2006)
- Co-Presenter of Aggressively Pursuing Fraudulent Conveyances, The Institute of Continuing Legal Education (June 16, 2005)
- Legal Issues On Indoor Air Quality, Certified Indoor Environmentalist Course (2004-2005)
- Silica Litigation: The Next Big Wave of Toxic Tort Suits? Michigan Chamber of Commerce (May 5, 2004)
- Asbestos Litigation Takes An Ominous Turn, Michigan Chamber of Commerce (April 22, 2003)
- Asbestos Litigation Takes An Ominous Turn, ABA Environmental Litigation Committee National Conference (January 18, 2003)
- Y2K: A Bump In The Road, Information Technology Management Association (July 7, 1999)