Jane F. Adolphe
- J.C.D. in Canon Law, 2001, Potificia Università della Santa Croce
- J.C.L in Cannon Law, 1997, Potificia Università della Santa Croce
- LL.B/B.C.L, 1990, Common Law & Civil law degrees, University of McGill
- BA, 1985, Political Science, University of Calgary
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Adolphe has taught Canon Law, Criminal Law, Family Law, International Family Law, International Human Rights, International Law, and International Law and the Holy See.
Professor Adolphe began her legal career clerking for the Alberta Court of Appeal and Court of Queen’s Bench. After practicing with the Bennett Jones Law Firm, she served as a prosecutor with the Alberta Crown Prosecutor’s Office. She then worked as a legal consultant with the law firm of Capua, Varrenti e Associati in Italy. She has served the United Nations by participating in conferences on children’s rights and the International Criminal Court, and most recently participated as a delegate of the Holy See.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Jimmie Condon Scholarship, three time winner, University of Calgary
- Numerous tournament and conference all-star awards for athletic achievement in basketball, University of Calgary
- Alberta Provincial Basketball Team
- All Canadian Basketball Team (1985) 4
- City of Calgary Booster Club Award (1985)
- Freedom of Religion and the Holy See’s Comments to the Committee on the Rights of the Child, Working Group on Religious Liberty: Its Nature, Scope and Limits, “XXVII World Congress of the International Society for the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy (IVR),” Washington, D.C., July 26 to August 1, 2015 (forthcoming).
- Persecution of Christians: Breaking the Silence on Sexual Violence, A Catholic Symposium co-sponsored by the Ethics and Public Center (EPPC) and the Catholic Information Center (CIC) on “Evangelizing a Broken World: Women’s Work in the Mission of the Church” Washington, D.C., 16-17 April, 2015 (forthcoming).
- Core UN Treaty Bodies and the concepts of Equality and Non-discrimination, “Equality and Non-discrimination: Catholic Roots, Current Controversies,” International Expert Working Group Meeting organized by the International Center on Law, Life Faith and Family, Naples, Florida 19-22 February 2015 (forthcoming).
- Systém UN: „nové práva‟, staré kontroverzie, Documenty Konferencia biskupov Slovenska No. 14: Katolícka Cirkev a L’udské Prava, (Spolok svätého Vojtecha Trnava: 2014). The United Nations System: New Rights, Old Controversies, Document of the Episcopal Conference of Slovakia No. 14: The Church and Human Rights (SSVT:2014).
- Co-author with Michael Vacca, Esq., Best Practices: Laws Protecting Human Life and the Family Around the Globe in 2 AVE MARIA INTERNATIONAL LAW JOURNAL 1-61 (2012) available on-line: http://ilj.avemarialaw.edu/Content/articles/Adolphe.Vacca.BestPractices.Article_Final.pdf
- Edith Stein: Woman, Saint, Scholar & Forerunner, SAINT AUSTIN REVIEW, May/June 2003.
- It Answers to a Higher Authority: Even Faced with Clergy Sexual Abuse, the Church Must Still Focus on Saving Souls, LEGAL TIMES, June 10, 2002, 62.
- Kick Him Out! INSIDE THE VATICAN, Mar. 1999
- The UN’s Deconstruction of the Family, VIVANT, Feb. 1999.
- An Ageless Question: How the UN Defines Youth, VIVANT, Nov. 1998.
- Speaker. Freedom of Religion and the Holy See’s Comments to the Committee on the Rights of the Child: Working Group on Religious Liberty: Its Nature, Scope and Limits, “XXVII World Congress of the International Society for the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy (IVR),” Washington, D.C., July 26 to August 1, 2015.
- Participant. Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, International Conference, Women and the post-2015 Development Agenda: The Challenges of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Rome, Italy, 22-23-24 May 2015.
- Participant. Le Donne nella Chiesa: prospettive in dialogue (Women in the Church: Perspectives in Dialogue) organizzato dalla Ambasciata di Cile presso la Santa Sede e dalla Pontificia Università Antonianum, held at the Pontifical University Antonianum, Rome, Italy, 28 April 2015.
- Participant. Women’s Leadership in Conflict Resolution Faith Perspectives co-sponsored by the United States Embassy to the Holy See, the Russel Berrie Foundation and the John Paul II Center for Interreligious Dialogue, held at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, Rome, Italy, 14 April 2015.