- JD, 1974, Washington College of Law
- BA, 1969, History, Georgetown University
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Bonner teaches Criminal Law, Evidence, Complex Criminal Litigation, Criminal Procedure, Directed Research, and Professional Responsibility at Ave Maria School of Law. He also is the Faculty advisor for the Ave Maria School of Law Moot Court Board.
Professor Bonner began his legal career at the U.S. Department of Justice and served in a variety of capacities there for more than 25 years, including Assistant U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Resident Legal Advisor in Moscow. For 10 years, he directed the investigation and prosecution of high-profile federal cases involving international and domestic terrorism. He subsequently joined the U.S. Department of Treasury, where he held the position of Senior Advisor and Chief of Staff to the Undersecretary of the Treasury for Enforcement. Prior to coming to Ave Maria, Professor Bonner served as a Senior Advisor in the United States Department of Homeland Security’s Office of International Affairs, where he oversaw the Department’s activities within the Group of 8 (G8) countries. He also taught as an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center for 13 years.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Attorney General of California, 1984 for prosecution of State v. Ruiz while cross-designated as Assistant AG of California.
- US Department of the Treasury Meritorious Service Award, 2003
- General Procuracy of the Russian Federation, 1998 by Issa M. Kostoyev, Deputy Procurator General of the Russian Federation, Chief, International Legal Directorate, for work as Resident Legal Advisor, Moscow.
- Director CIA, 1982 and 1992 for services appurtenant to U.S. litigation.
- Director FBI, 1999 for investigation, trial and appeal in US v. Simmonds.
- Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs 1990, Nicholas Rostow, for securing emergency writ of mandamus from US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in US v. Galliano quashing subpoenas on then-Deputy National Security Advisor Robert Gates (while Gates was White House crisis manager for Operation Desert Shield).
- Chief of Staff, Kissinger Associates 1990, Ambassador L. Paul Bremer (same as above,
- as to Ambassador Bremer, formerly Ambassador at large for Counter-Terrorism and subsequently Civil Administrator, Coalition Provisional Authority, Iraq).
- Department of Justice Special Achievement Awards (received on three occasions)
- Chief Postal Inspector’s Award 1995, for investigation, prosecution, and appeal in US v. Raymond D. Cheely, et al.
- Honorary Member, Russian Legal Academy, inducted 1998 by Academy President Valentine V. Ershov, Moscow.
- Extradition, Mutual Legal Assistance, and Prisoner Transfer in Issues and Problems in Combating Organized Crime, Moscow, 1997.
- Selected published appellate briefs from the Third, Fourth, and Ninth Circuits:
- United States Simmonds, 235 F.3d 826 (3rd Cir. 2000)
- United States Cheely, 36 F.3d 1439 (9th Cir.1994)