Timothy J. Tracey
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
- JD, 2002, Wake Forest University School of Law
- BA, 1999, Christian Thought, Grove City College
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Tracey has taught Criminal Law, Professional Responsibility, Torts 1, Torts II, and Contracts at Ave Maria School of Law. He has practiced in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy, and First Amendment Law.
Professor Tracey began his legal career at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP in Atlanta, Georgia where we practiced commercial litigation and bankruptcy. After discovering his interest in the First Amendment, he practiced at the Center for Law & Religious Freedom in Northern Virginia, where he litigated numerous First Amendment free speech and religious liberty cases. His last year of legal practice was spent at the office of the Alliance Defense Fund in Washington D.C. where he litigated First Amendment Cases. Professor Tracey has handled appeals in the Fourth, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits, the California Court of Appeals, and the Kentucky Court of Appeals.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Commentator in local and national media, including the Washington Post and time Magazine.
- Christian Legal Society v.Martinez: In Hindsight, U.HAW. L. REV. (forthcoming Fall2012)
- Nondiscrimination Rules and Religious Associational Freedom, ENGAGE: J.FEDERALISTSOC’Y PRAC. GROUPS, Vol. 8, Issue 3 (Jun.2007), http://www.fed–‐org/doclib/20080428_ReLibBaylor.pdf.
- New Supreme Court Appointment Could Surprise on Religion, Freedoms, NAPLES DAILY NEWS, Aug. 21, 2010, http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/aug/21/guest–‐commentary–‐new–‐supreme–‐court–‐appointment–‐cou/.
- National Health-Care Law, NAPLES DAILY NEWS, Dec. 15, 2010, http://www.naplesnews.com/news/ 2010/dec/15/guest–‐commentary–‐national–‐health–‐care–‐law/?partner=RSS.
- More to the Texas Graduation/Prayer Case Than Meets the Eye, NAPLES DAILY NEWS, Jun. 7, 2011, http://www.naplesnews.com/ news/2011/jun/07/guest–‐essay–‐more–‐texas–‐graduationprayer–‐case–‐
- “A Return to the Original Understanding of University Students’ Rights,” Religious Legal Theory Conference, Pepperdine University School of Law (2012).
- “The Demise of Equal Access and the Christian Response,” Young Legal Scholars Forum, Stetson University School of Law (2011).
- “Integrating Faith and Legal Study,” Christian Legal Society National Conference, Orlando, Florida (2010).
- “First Amendment Free Speech and Association: Trends and Challenges,” Christian Legal Society National Conference, Sandestin, Florida (2007). 2
- Panel Discussion Concerning Christian Legal Society v. Kane, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California (2007).
- “Religious Freedom and University Nondiscrimination Policies,” University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina (2006).
- “Nondiscrimination Policies: Facing the New Threat to Religious Liberty,” Christian Legal Society Northeast Regional Conference, Speculator, New York (2006).