Ave Maria School of Law Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy
Are you seeking a legal education inspired by the Catholic intellectual tradition and the natural law?
Apply to the Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy at Ave Maria School of Law!
Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy
March 3-5, 2017
Ave Maria School of Law 1025 Commons Circle Naples, FL 34119
Candidates must apply to be considered for the Academy. In addition, candidates must be enrolled or have recently graduated from an eligible Cardinal Newman Guide Approved undergraduate school; current or former FOCUS missionaries; have actively participated in FOCUS at their undergraduate college or university; members of Christ the King, St. Mary’s Student Chapel or St. Thomas the Apostle Parishes in Ann Arbor, Michigan; earned or will earn an undergraduate degree from a Catholic College or University; earned or will earn an undergraduate degree from any accredited College or University where you were an active member of a Newman Center or Catholic Student Center.
To be considered for the program candidates must submit the following:
- Completed application;
- Personal Statement of 1-2 pages addressing our mission and their motivations for wanting to practice law;
- Transcript from their undergraduate institution(s);
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member; and
- One letter of recommendation from a pastor, clergy or spiritual advisor.
The deadline for receipt of all materials is February 10, 2017. Candidates for selection are based upon academic achievement, professional leadership potential and demonstrated commitment to their Catholic faith.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is the Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy open to all college students? No. Participation in the Academy is limited to upperclassmen (College Seniors) and recent graduates of eligible Cardinal Newman Guide Approved undergraduate schools, current or former FOCUS missionaries; have actively participated in FOCUS at their undergraduate college or university; or members of Christ the King, St. Mary’s Student Chapel or St. Thomas the Apostle Parishes in Ann Arbor, Michigan; earned or will earn an undergraduate degree from a Catholic College or University; earned or will earn an undergraduate degree from any accredited College or University where you were an active member of a Newman Center or Catholic Student Center.
2. If I am not certain I want to be a lawyer, am I eligible to apply to the Academy? The Academy seeks to introduce participants who are seeking a vocation in law. If you are considering attending law school and plan to apply to Ave Maria School of Law for Summer or Fall 2017, then you are eligible to apply to the Academy.
3. What will the Academy offer? A complete agenda will be provided to participants upon admission to the Academy. The schedule will include classroom and experiential learning introduction to Legal Research, Writing and Advocacy; Criminal Procedure; Bio-Ethics; Jurisprudence and Moral Foundations of the Law. Candidates will also meet and interact with current students, faculty and alumni of Ave Maria School of Law. There will be some free time to full experience the idyllic beauty and culture of Naples, Florida.
4. When and where will the Academy be held? The Academy will be held at Ave Maria School of Law in Naples, Florida, March 3-5, 2017.
5. Am I required to take the LSAT before I apply to the Academy? No. Participants are not required to take the LSAT prior to applying or participating in the Academy. If you have already taken the LSAT and received your score, please include this information on your application. If you plan to take a future LSAT, the program agenda will include a practice LSAT.
6. What is the deadline for applying to the Academy? All components of the application including transcripts and letters of recommendation must be received by February 10, 2017.
7. How may I submit letters of recommendation? Letters of recommendation may be submitted directly by the recommenders via mail, fax or e—mail to the Office of Admission. Letters should be addressed to: Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy Ave Maria School of Law Office of Admissions 1025 Commons Circle Naples, FL 34119 Tel – (239)-687-5420 Fax – (239)-352-2890 E-mail – email@example.com
8. How will I know if my application is accepted? Applicants will be notified by e-mail no later than February 12, 2017. Candidates will be required to complete an enrollment intention form to confirm their participation no later than Februrary 15, 2017.
9. How much does it cost to attend the Academy? Ave Maria School of Law covers the cost of airfare, lodging and most meals for each participant. AMSL will also arrange for airport pick-up and drop-off at the Regional Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Fort Myers are specific times. Participants are responsible for the cost of transportation to and from their home airport (if necessary), as well as any personal expenses incurred while attending the Academy. Accommodations will be provided for four nights at the Hampton Inn or Hawthorn Suites, double occupancy.
10. Do I have to attend the entire program? Yes. Attendance is mandatory for the entire Academy session. Free time is scheduled into the program but candidates should be prepared to be present for all sessions.
11. What is the attire for the Academy? Business casual attire is required for the entire Academy with the exception of free time.
12. How many people do you expect will attend? We expect between 15-20 students to participate in the Academy. It is intended to be a small program in an intimate setting with individualized attention.
13. Who should I contact if I have any additional questions? If you have any additional questions about the Cardinal Newman Pre-Law Academy, please contact the Ave Maria School of Law Office of Admissions at (239)-687-5420 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply Now