Cardinal Newman Scholarship
Ave Maria School of Law is pleased to announce the Cardinal Newman Scholarship Program for Summer/Fall 2017. The scholarship is available to qualified candidates from eligible Cardinal Newman Guide Approved schools or other colleges and universities recognized as a Catholic institution of higher learning; former Fellowship of Catholic University Student (FOCUS) missionaries; students who actively participated in FOCUS at their undergraduate college or university; members of one of the parishes (see below) supporting the universities in the greater Ann Arbor area.
As Ave Maria School of Law seeks to admit men and women who are drawn to our distinctive mission of educating lawyers within the Catholic intellectual tradition, we welcome applications from alumni of these institutions and members of these organizations. We are confident that these students will enrich the academic and spiritual life of the Law School.
Candidates may be eligible for the Cardinal Newman Full Tuition Scholarship as well as Cardinal Newman Stipend of $10,000 towards their living expenses for their first year. To be eligible for the Cardinal Newman Full Tuition Scholarship, candidates must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be admitted to Ave Maria School of Law for Summer/Fall 2017;
- Have an official LSAT score of at least 150 that is no more than 5 years old and have earned a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0; or an official LSAT score of at least 148 and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25;
- Have an extensive record of participation in academic, spiritual, co-curricular and/or extra-curricular activities that enrich their Catholic faith.
In addition, candidates must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Earned an undergraduate degree from one of the Cardinal Newman Guide Approved schools; which has been accredited by an agency recognized by the United States Department of Education; or
- Graduate of a Catholic College or University.
- Graduate of any accredited College or University where you were an active member of a Newman Center or Catholic Student Center.
- Served as a Fellowship of Catholic University Student (FOCUS) missionary for at least two years; or
- Actively participated in FOCUS at their undergraduate college or university and receive a letter of recommendation from the FOCUS Team Director at that campus; or
- Is a member in good standing of one of the parishes supporting the universities in the greater Ann Arbor, Michigan area.
*To be considered for the Cardinal Newman Scholarship, each applicant must have at least one letter of recommendation, on official letterhead, attesting to their involvement in one of the above institutions or organizations.
Cardinal Newman Stipend
Cardinal Newman Scholarship recipients may also be eligible for one-time $10,000 stipend towards living expenses incurred during their first year at Ave Maria Law. Eligibility is dependent on the candidate’s highest official LSAT score.
Renewal of Awards
The Cardinal Newman Scholarship is renewable for years two and three at the Law School, contingent upon the recipient’s academic performance at the end of the first and second year. Recipients must earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.667 (the median in graded courses).
The Cardinal Newman Stipend is NOT renewable.
Candidates who are not eligible for the Cardinal Newman Scholarship but are admitted to Ave Maria Law for Summer/Fall 2017 may otherwise be eligible for Academic Excellence Scholarships as well as Service and Leadership Awards.
For additional information on the Cardinal Newman Scholarship Program, please contact the Admissions Office at email@example.com or (239)-687-5420.